Each year, a class of approximately 20 individuals, participate in a 12 month Hispanic Chamber Latino Leadership Class. The program enhances the leadership and management skills of Latino leaders to position them to continue their advancement in their employment while also promoting community leadership through volunteerism on public boards and commissions.
Qualifications and Selection
Any Latino who supports the mission of the Hispanic Chamber can apply. Past scholarship recipients of the Hispanic Chamber Scholarships are encouraged to apply. Participants must complete a formal program application and all attachments. Participants are selected on their own merits. The Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber governs the Latino Leadership Program.
The Latino Leadership Program requires extensive time, effort and monetary commitment. Attendance at monthly one day session is critical. Class participants are expected to attend all sessions, full time, except in the case of an emergency.
Who Should Apply?
- Latinos working in the public or private sector with a desire to create a network of resources
- Latinos that want to increase their leadership and management skills in a year long program
- Latinos interested in interacting with experienced community leaders in the public and private sector
- Latinos with a desire to serve in leadership roles on public and private policy-making bodies
Who Will Present the Information?
- City, County, and State Elected Officials
- Faculty from Oregon State, Portland State, and the University of Oregon
- CEO’s and Executive Managers in the public and private sector
Purpose of the Program
- Identify Latino leaders and develop their leadership and management skills.
- Create opportunities for Latino leaders to interact with experienced community leaders
- Develop a pool of Latino candidates for effective service on policy-making bodies.
- Create a network of resources for Latino leaders in the public and private sector.
What Will You Learn?
- Identification of Your Personal Style
- Leadership Styles & Management Skills
- How to be a Person of Influence
- What is the future of Latinos in this country?
- The Role of Government and Public Policy
- Economic Overview and International Trade
- Business and Economic Development
- The Importance of Philanthropy
- Cultural Contributions
- Working with the Media
- Communication/Problem-Solving Skills
- How to Coach for Improved Performance
- Strategic Planning & Project Implementation
- Presentation and Negotiation Skills
- What is Upper Management Looking For?
- Change Acceleration Process (CAP)
How Much Does It Cost?
$2,600 per person for the year long program. Full cost must be paid prior to September 6th. A limited number of scholarships are available.
How Do I Apply?
Download the application below. Submit a completed version to the Chamber no later than June 30 for consideration. Send applications to email@example.com
Leadership Program Participants
Scroll down to view photos of past leadership program participants: